OSSU schools rely on a dedicated group of volunteers. Family members, friends, caregivers, and community members are encouraged to get involved and apply to volunteer by first contacting the school at which you would like to serve. You may reach out to a teacher or member of the school administration who will share with you volunteer opportunities and the application process.
To ensure our students are learning in a safe, secure, and stable environment, OSSU performs a Vermont criminal record check screening through the Vermont Criminal Information Center (VCIC) on all individuals interested in volunteering in our schools or recreation department.
Vermont Criminal Record Check
In order to protect our students from potential abuse or exploitation, school districts will be performing a Vermont criminal record check screening through the Vermont Criminal Information Center (VCIC) on all individuals interested in volunteering in our schools or recreation department
No individual subject to the criminal record checks shall be eligible to serve (or continue to serve) as a volunteer if they have been convicted of one or more of the following crimes (taken from 16 V.S.A. § § 252 and 1698). The list of disqualifying crimes is not meant to be all inclusive. For convictions not listed, eligibility to volunteer shall be considered on a case by case basis. The totality of the crimes shall also be considered when determining eligibility to volunteer. The decision of the Superintendent in these matters shall be final:
- Sex offender crimes listed in 13 V.S.A. § 5401(10) (sex offender definition for registration purposes):
- Crimes involving a victim listed in 13 V.S.A. § 5301(7)
- Contributing to juvenile delinquency under 13 V.S.A. § 1301
- Cruelty to children under 13 V.S.A. § 1304
- Cruelty by person having custody under 13 V.S.A. § 1305
- Prohibited acts under 13 V.S.A. § § 2632 and 2635
- Displaying obscene materials to minors under 13 V.S.A. § 2804b
- Sexual exploitation of children under 13 V.S.A. chapter 64
- Drug sales, including selling or dispensing under 18 V.S.A. § § 4230(b), 4231(b), 4232(b), 4233(b), 4234(b),4234a, 4234b, 4235(c), 4235a(b), and 4237
- Sexual activity by a caregiver, under 33 V.S.A. § 6902(D)
- Crimes that are cause for licensing actions listed in 16 V.S.A. § 1698(1)(B)-(D)
In addition to the above disqualification, it is the discretion of the Superintendent to accept or not accept specific individuals as volunteers, and all decisions related to the continuation of a volunteer’s service. The Superintendent's decision on these matters is considered final.
Before completing or sharing forms with applicants, please confirm with HR the correct form needed for each specific volunteer position.
OSSU Level One Volunteer Background Check Form
OSSU Level Two Volunteer Background Check Form
Tess Martin, Human Resources Manager