School Boards & Community
There are a total of nine school boards within OSSU serving six schools in six towns across four counties. Each board has specific responsibilities based on Vermont law and individual school district charters. Some boards have developed websites to remain in communication with their communities.
Each school board is the Board of Trustees for education on behalf of its community. It is entrusted with assuring that the young people of the community receive a high quality education and that taxpayers receive a positive return on their investment.
School Boards within OSSU
- Craftsbury Town School Board governs a PK-12 school district, including Craftsbury Elementary (PK-4) and Craftsbury Academy (5-12).
- Greensboro Town School Board governs the funding of universal prekindergarten education for Greensboro residents. The remaining educational programs fall under the responsibly of the Lakeview Union School Board and Hazen Union School Board. Greensboro is represented by five school board directors on the Lakeview Union School Board and two directors on the Hazen Union School Board.
- Hardwick Town School Board governs a PK-6 school district, including Hardwick Elementary School.
- Hazen Union School Board serves the towns of Hardwick, Greensboro, and Woodbury. It governs a grade 7-12 union school district and operates Hazen Union School.
- Lakeview Union School Board serves the towns of Greensboro and Stannard. It governs a K-6 union school district, including Lakeview Union School.
- Stannard Town School Board governs the funding of universal prekindergarten education for Stannard residents as well as the tuition of Stannard students in grades 7-12. The remaining programs fall under the responsibly of the Lakeview Union School Board. Stannard is represented by two school board directors on the Lakeview Union School Board.
- Wolcott Town School Board governs a PK-12 school district, which includes Wolcott Elementary School as well as the tuition of Wolcott students in grades 7-12.
- Woodbury Town School Board governs a K-6 school district, including Woodbury Elementary School.
- Orleans Southwest Supervisory Union Board is responsible for governing the Supervisory Union as required by law. Representatives from every school district sit on the OSSU board and participate in a number of committees, including the OSSU Executive Committee and OSSU Negotiations Committee.
Role of a School Board
The Vermont School Board Association outlines seven main roles and related responsibilities of school boards, summarized below:
- Create a Vision
- Establish Policies
- Hire a Superintendent
- Monitor Progress
- Develop a Budget
- Engage With the Community
- Other Responsibilities
Want to Join a School Board?
School board membership is a rewarding and challenging form of public service. It requires a commitment of time and energy, thoughtful deliberation, and clear communication. Here are a few details for community members seeking to become a school board director.
Why Serve On The School Board?
Officers & Committees
How To Get Elected Or Appointed